Thursday School and Whoo! Go us!

 My Thursday school gives me the highest highs and the lowest lows. It's the furthest from my house, and even though the commute is pretty easy (on the highway, one exit), it did give me pause when I was considering the job - even with bad weather driving to work isn't usually an issue for me because all the other schools are so close. It's also my only K-8 school - all the others are K-6.

I thought "hm, it might be interesting being in a K-8 school." And I guess it is, in the way of the Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times". The funny thing is, I don't even have any grade 7 or 8 classes visit me regularly, but it still changes the feel of the school. There was an issue with some of them coming in at recess last year, which I didn't realize wasn't supposed to be allowed, so then they all got in trouble and I got more comfortable being the mean librarian. It is cool seeing a few of the teachers who are really good with them, but wow, is that ever not me.

I have a grade 2 class that I always do storytime with that is always fantastic, even though the kids change from year to year. They are so participatory and funny and appreciative. It's like a special magical time that I get every Thursday and it makes up for a lot. 

The other librarian is an absolutely flawless, archetypal, irreproachable librarian. The space is very cool. She does so many extra things to make it welcoming and engaging and fun. We have puzzles. We have a basket of stuffies the kids can take to read to or squish. We have lap desks and birds nests on display and a ton of plants. I would have worshiped this librarian when I was in school. 

Things I like:

1. Kate, obviously. I only get to work with her at the beginning and ends of terms, when we're not circulating and I go in to catalogue and organize and we hang out. Once a kid from another class came in to ask a question and called me "Other Miss Kate", and I took it as a high compliment.

2. My storytime with the grade two class.

3. When, every once in a blue moon, the kids shut up and actually sit or lie down and read in groups.

4. The kids all have cards, and are actually allowed and encouraged to sign out their books independently, at the main computer and a chromebook set up on a table on the far wall. This gives me more time to help kids look for books rather than sitting in one place asking 'what's your name' a hundred and fifty times. 

5. This whale who we have named Walter White.

6. Great collection - the fact that there are grade 7s and 8s does give us that.

7. Bunnies on the windows.

8. The wooden bins for the picture books. Even though I have to walk around and around trying to remember where all the different bins are and sometimes I think Kate moves them around just to screw with me. 

Things I like less:

1. No office at all. There's a room behind our desk, but it's sort of a resource room. No sink. And the bathroom is far down the hall, so I can't wash my hands as often as I'd like.

2. The library looks lovely, but doesn't feel good. It's on the second floor and has two walls of windows, and I'm always hot and sweaty within twenty minutes. It's just not physically comfortable. 

3. The desk and space behind the desk are a vortex for chaos. It honestly makes me feel a bit weepy and claustrophobic just thinking about it.

I did get a haircut, Nicole, thanks for noticing! I mean, I got a haircut, but that was an old picture, but my haircut looks more or less like that right now:

But I didn't wash my hair today before work, and I looked tired even though I did sleep last night, so I'm using an old picture for this one too. Have I made this confusing enough? 

Thirty-seven minutes until the end of November! It was so much fun doing this with everyone! I always think I'm going to keep blogging every day and then I.... don't. 

Nicole talked about all the things she loves about November in today's post, and I do think there are good things, but November does not love me, and for whatever reason I find it harder and harder to thrive as the month goes on. This has made it more bearable, and I am grateful. I am happy I found San and got in the mix. 

Comments

Nicole said…
WALTER WHITE OMGOMGOMGOMG
You look GREAT, I love the hair! And your face. And everything else.
K-8 seems WILD to me. Like, what a difference between 5 year olds and 14 year olds. What a mix!
You did it, another one in the books!
NGS said…
THOSE RABBITS ARE TERRIFYING. I have such an intense DISLIKE of rabbits and now your library is making them larger than life as if that's an OKAY thing to do. I mean, what if a wizard accidentally animates them? I have worries about the safety of the children in this school.

But, while the library itself looks glorious, I also had some heart palpitations at the space behind the desk. Declutter ASAP!!
StephLove said…
K-6 schools are kind of rare in the states, though my (5th grade) niece attends one. Here most elementary schools end at 5th grade. And they're often broken up into smaller schools, K-2 and 3-5. North went to a K-5 and Noah started at a K-5 and switched to a 3-5 in 4th grade. K-8 is private schools only, at least around where I live.

Congrats on finishing NaBloPoMo. Did I get that abbreviation right? I'm too lazy to look it up.
This library is so beautiful -- I love how vast it is and all the windows. But the HEAT. That sounds awful. And the mess behind the desk would be very difficult to ignore.

Congrats on NaBloPoMo!!! I always love your posts!
Mom of Children said…
Woooohoooo! Yay us! Whew I feel tired... Maybe I'll write a Friday 5... Maybe I won't.
Library looks beautiful, I love those spaces.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits