How Do You Say "Bite Me" in German?

 I think I've mentioned that I took a beginner's German course years ago, I think it was the summer before fourth year. I had English and French courses, but I needed one German to apply to the Comparative Literature program I wanted for grad school. 

I had to start one week late because there was some mix-up at the registrar's office and they thought there wasn't room and then there was. The instructor was a little wary when I showed up because it was a three-hour intensive course once a week, but I didn't have any trouble catching up. I tend to pick up languages easily at first, and then stall out when it comes to being able to write or converse beyond a certain level.

The class was a wide mix of people - undergrads, grad students, adults who were doing it for interest. It turned out that one of the other undergrads was an engineering student who my future husband (engineering physics student) knew slightly. He clearly fancied himself a bit of a punk - black leather, spiked hair, belligerent attitude. At one point we were all out at the campus bar and he said he was getting a ninety in the course, and 'yes, I am switching to Humanities next year'.

What I should have said: 'Dude, it's a beginner's language course. Do a third-year seminar in Theories of Decolonization and Resistance and get back to me.'

What I actually said: Nothing - I was 22, and socially awkward with low self-esteem.

Why am I thinking about this on this dreary November morning, and getting mad all over again, you might ask? I did too, actually. Then I stopped to trace the thread of how I had arrived here.

I was thinking about our friends stopping by Saturday evening on their way home from dinner, which was fun and spontaneous. Then I thought Matt and I almost never go out for dinner alone, because he travels so much, but if there's an event for someone's birthday or a group dinner on the calendar we'll go if he's home. I thought we should go out for dinner when he's home again (wait, he is home again, isn't he? But I'm out tonight and away on the week-end and then he's gone again. Sigh). Then I tried to think of restaurants I've been wanting to try. I thought of one in the market, and then I thought "wait, I went there accidentally with Eve when we were in the market in the summer, we picked a little place with a patio and I didn't realize what it was until I looked at the menu. Amazing pork belly tacos."

Then I thought about the tiny little tables, and how shortly after we got there it got really busy and the waitress looked stressed, and I tried to reassure her she didn't have to hurry with us. Which reminded me of years ago when I was with Matt and another two friends at a little hipster cafe in Hamilton, and the waitress turned out to be someone I knew from class. It also got very crowded and she apologize for the service getting worse as it got busier, and we said it was fine, we weren't in a hurry. Then I remembered her boyfriend was that jerky guy I took beginner's German with.

And all that happened within about ten seconds.

Brains are so awesome and weird. 


Comments

Jenny said…
Hahahaha... I know. If you try to trace your thoughts back, it's a long and winding road! Did you ever learn how to say "bite me" in German? :)
Bibliomama said…
Jenny - I'm hoping San will come through for me.
Nicole said…
Brains are amazing things! Love the process.
I love the way our brains make connections -- and so instantaneously, even if the track between Thought A and Thought B has lots of turns.
Ernie said…
I enjoyed how you traced this thread. Too funny. I get this, because OH THE THINGS I WISH I'D SAID OVER THE YEARS. I did say something on Thanksgiving that was long, LONG overdue. I didn't need to say it in another language, just needed to get up my nerve. You sound like an excellent customer in a crowded restaurant/bar.
Sarah said…
This feels very behind the scenes, and I love it.
San said…
Oh, down the rabbit hole you go... I know this kind of train of thought all too well. And all of a sudden, you're some place you just barely thought of in 20 years LOL

Please add to your German vocabulary: "Du kannst mich mal (am A*** lecken" (which literally means 'you can go lick my a**)".
It's a little bit more vulgar than 'bite me' but very commonly used LOL

(Also: the trick to sound like a native, learn all the colloquialisms and swear words first - my husband knows them all) LOL.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits