Stomach Stuff

 Before more camping notes, I wanted to report back on having to take my mom to her colonoscopy Thursday morning. Some of you may remember how it went when I took her for bloodwork last November and understand my trepidation. My mother does not enjoy fasting, and this was a whole order of magnitude over bloodwork fasting. 

Naturally everything went swimmingly and she only criticized my driving once, and not even when I sort of almost got us hit by a bus (to be fair, she may not have noticed that).

The last time I got colonoscoped I went to a small hospital. The last time I took my mom it was a bigger hospital. This was a small, very shiny, state-of-the-art seeming clinic. Everything was clean and bright. There was a big screen tv flashing all the impressive statistics about the place. The only note I had was about saying something like "We find adenomas in 54% more patients than other clinics", which I assume means they have better equipment and find things that are smaller, but taken another way does not sound good AT ALL. 

Speaking of eating and not, the body positivity part of this post of Sarah's struck me hard. Refer back to America Ferrara's 'women can't win' speech in the Barbie movie. For decades we were supposed to feel bad about our bodies, and now we have to feel bad if we feel bad about our bodies? Of course I am grateful for the pushback against diet culture, diet culture is stupid, I love that people like Aubrey Gordon are pointing out the inaccuracies and hysteria surrounding the obesity panic. But I was born in the seventies and sometimes I DO wonder if being thin would feel better than lemon curd cheesecake tastes. Sometimes I wish fewer parts of my body rested on other parts of my body. 

I have done my best not to pass any of this bullshit on to my daughter - I can't remember who said it, but I read somewhere that one of the worst casualties of diet culture is the relationship between countless mothers and daughters and holy shit, does that ever ring true. I asked my daughter when she was a teenager how she felt about her body and she said "I don't worship it or anything, but we're homies". Then a year or two ago she went out for dinner with her friends and texted me that the waitress had come to clear their plates and said "wow, you guys were hungry!", and her friends were appalled and insulted that she was appetite-shaming them, but "you raised me to be so secure around food issues I didn't even notice". I cried a little, and also took this to mean that now and then I can complain a little about how fucking fat I am without scarring her for life. 

Sometimes when I'm getting dressed I put on something that doesn't feel comfortable or flattering right then, and I wonder for a second if I should just force myself to wear it. I'm not sure why - because fuck the notion of 'flattering?' Because if I'm not ashamed of my body I shouldn't care what I wear? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I have sensory issues, and sometimes an item of clothing will feel okay one day and not the next. I'm pretty sure it's not a triumph over diet culture to march myself around feeling uncomfortable. 

A couple of weeks ago Eve and I walked Lucy over to my parents' place and were having a drink out on the front step where it's shady, and one of Eve's friends was driving by with her girlfriend and the girlfriend's new puppy, so they stopped to show us the puppy. They took a picture of Eve and I with the dog and when I looked at it I was horrified by how bad I looked. Then I started to think about how when I see a bad picture of me I think "oh okay, I forgot that I'm hideous, I should remember not to walk around expecting people not to gag at the sight of me", but when I see a good picture I don't think "oh sweet, I'm hot now, cool cool cool". Years ago I wouldn't be able to think about it this rationally, I would just starve myself for a couple of weeks and then not be able to keep starving and feel shitty about myself. 

So I'm not throwing body positivity out with the bathwater. But it needs to stay in its lane.


Comments

Swistle said…
I RESONATE WITH THIS SO HARD

And I literally got tears in my eyes about the scene where Eve didn't even notice the waitress's comment. MAY WE RAISE THEM, MAY WE BE THEM
Suzanne said…
Oh, how I hope I am doing as well with my kid as you have with yours!!!!! The bit about diet culture ruining mother/daughter relationships really gets to me. Ugh. It’s all so complicated and fraught.
ccr in MA said…
Oh, the photos, the photos. I have a lot of not-fat friends, and somehow it can make me forget I am? I can't really explain it, but I'll see photos from a get-together and it really strikes me how I am SO much bigger than most of them. Like, I know it, but photos are such a visceral reminder, aren't they?
Nicole said…
You and Eve have such a good relationship and you are such a good mom.
NGS said…
Why is body image stuff so hard? Hugs to you and cheers to raising a daughter who honestly doesn't think about it!
Ernie said…
It is so great that you and Eve have such a great relationship. Curly was upset early in the summer because her shorts did not fit her. She made a comment about feeling fat. I was like your body is no longer a preteen's body. You are changing into a woman. That IS the goal. I wish it was not so hard for everyone to feel comfortable in their skin.
StephLove said…
We've tried to be body-neutral in the way we talk, but it's hard, especially since Beth and I have both lost a lot of weight over the past few years for health reasons. (For me it was mostly the diabetes-related diet changes.) So even if we don't talk about it much, North sees. And North first rapidly gained and then rapidly lost weight in ways that have not been especially healthy, which is worrying. I'm not blogging about it. It feels too private, which is funny considering they ASKED me to blog about when they were in a psychiatric ward and not to blog about this. That's how touchy weight can be. Oh, and the way my mom talks about weight (hers mine, and everyone else's) seriously threatened our relationship when I was in my 20s, but I got her to back off.

I'm glad Eve has a easier relationship with her body. That's awesome. She's awesome. And so are you.
Busy Bee Suz said…
It's a tough spot as a mom when you have (self-imposed) body issues to NOT mention to your children.
I have to repeat it, I love Eve. But you, I love you even more as her mom. You've raised her to be such a bright, smart, and no-nonsense woman.

I have days where I'll put on something, and it totally irks me. Not even the way it looks, just the way it feels on me, so I totally understand what you are saying.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits