Let's Cook Our Weiners

 We're going camping tomorrow. We've been in hardcore prep the past two days, which means I do not want to go camping anymore, and also I might be getting a divorce. Why do we do this? How did we convince ourselves this is fun? Once when we got home I sent around this quote from the book All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews:

"...my parents decided we should go camping in the Badlands of South Dakota. We spent the whole time, it seemed, setting everything up and then tearing it all down. My sister, Elfrieda, said it wasn't really life -- it was like being in a mental hospital where everyone walked around with the sole purpose of surviving and conserving energy, it was like being in a refugee camp, it was a halfway house for recovering neurotics, it was this and that, she didn't like camping -- and our mother said well, honey, it's meant to alter our perception of things. Paris would do that too, said Elf, or LSD, and our mother said c'mon, the point is we're all together, let's cook our weiners."

(We started this when we were in our late thirties. I'm 53. Maybe next year we'll just try LSD)

The comments on my post about Eve passing her driving test were awesome - Suzanne, I LITERALLY used that "what do you call the guy who graduates at the bottom of his medical class" adage at least a dozen times throughout this process. She is not the least bit perturbed about the less-than-glowing report - everything that went wrong was due to being nervous about the test, not nervous about driving. Now she can drive like your average fully-licensed person who makes stupid mistakes on the regular. 

ccr in MA, we have the same thing with our weather network, with ingredients for tacos and we're having tacos NOW!, but this is why I was confused about how we had a watch and a warning at the same time. So many tacos flying around! Lettuce and salsa everywhere! 

Engie - what. WHAT. No. Driving. Test. If we had found that out earlier, Eve might be mid-immigration, so I guess it's good that we didn't?

Swistle, it was exceedingly rash of me to say Eve and I had a mini-crash after her driving test without specifying it was a crash of the existential sort. In point of fact, Eve is rather of the opinion that passing the test means she never has to drive again (she did drive Jackson home last night).

Angus is driving back to Ithaca tomorrow to move into his new apartment before heading to Rochester for the wedding (the friend is a couple years older than him, at least, but I agree, HOW ARE WE AT THIS POINT). We are awash in boxes and coolers and bags, and will have to move carefully to make sure we don't end up at Sandbanks with a bunch of athletic wear and texbooks and Angus doesn't end up in Ithaca with a tent and sleeping bags. 

Scheduled camping posts about years past to begin tomorrow. Will report on this year's experience next week. Happy beginning of August, everyone. Please enjoy this picture of my parents, and Eve about to clobber Angus.




Comments

Sarah said…
We always have a snarky whisper fight that almost leads to divorce while setting up camp. This is the biggest thing that sucks about camping-- like, I hate it a little and only really want to stay like 1 night or maaaaybe 2 if we can go swimming or have a beach day. But set up is such a giant pain in the ass that really you need to stay 2 or 3 days to make everything make sense.
Nicole said…
I don't tend to like Toews but that paragraph is GOLD!
Ernie said…
That quote is HILARIOUS, as is your saying that you don't even want to camp anymore and you might be getting a divorce. Whoa man, been there. We used to camp when the kids were really little, because it was the cheapest way to travel. We started in Yellowstone and all of our friends were like DID YOU NOT WANT TO START SMALL AND WORK YOUR WAY UP? We made mistakes. Big ones - which led to us sleeping in puddles. A few years later, I still remember the look on Coach's face when he exited the men's bath house/bathroom place with Ed by the elbow. "He dropped his toothbrush UNDER the urinal. I think I'm done. I can't do this anymore."

Looking forward to hearing the stories. And for the record the blip about we had a mini crash also threw me off and I was so relieved to gather that it wasn't that kind of a crash.
StephLove said…
Beth and I used to camp a lot pre-kids as a way to save money while traveling, but she's the one who really loves it, so it became something she did with the kids, usually one-on-one, but occasionally she would take both of them and I'd have the house to myself for a weekend. Your group does sound fun, though.
Busy Bee Suz said…
I love the quote, and I agree with it completely. Camping is low on my list of FUN THINGS.

I hope you and Matt do NOT divorce, though, that would definitely dominate your blog posts, and we want to keep them as they currently are: Funny without major drama. 😜

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits