Library Loans and Holds

 I started to answer the question at the end of Engie's last post (it's probably definitely not the last post anymore because she blogs Every Freaking Day, HOW does one do such a thing, I do it in November and it nearly kills me, I am agog) and then realized it would be an unfeasibly long comment but a decent-length blog post.

Speaking of Engie (did I mention she blogs, like, a LOT), on this post about the word 'hat', and how it appears in a lot of books (and a bunch of other hat-related stuff), I said that since I read a lot of children's books I was not surprised to find that 'hat' occurs a lot in books, and mentioned one of my favourite children's book authors, Jon Klassen, (look at that, he's Canadian, I was unaware). Klassen writes beautifully twisted books about animals stealing other animals' hats, and reaping the consequences thereof, and also books about animals finding hats, and I don't know what put the hat-bee in his bonnet (see what I did there), but I LOVE them, and they are big hits at storytime.

Well Engie then TOOK THIS BOOK OUT of the library and praised it, and mentioned it on a post where I was sad and said it made her day, which in turn made MY day, but I don't think I had a chance to mention it, so THANK-YOU Engie, you are a good fish and I will never steal your hat. 

For the first time in a while, I put a bunch of paper books on hold with gay abandon and trusted they would not all show up at once.

This was not smart.

I did recently discover that my library has eliminated overdue fines, which is awesome, because I am terrible for bringing books down from my room, stacking them by the door, even putting them in the damned CAR, and still not managing to get them back to the damned library for a few extra days. But I don't want to hoard books for months, so I've still been gulping down paper books at a furious rate. I've always been curious about how things shake out when libraries get rid of fines, and I might try to track down someone I did a placement with to see if they have a view on how it's going. 

Paper Books Borrowed:

Lone Women by Victor Lavalle - Lavalle writes socially conscious horror involving racism and I have loved everything I've read by him.

Frida Kahlo and My Left Leg by Emily Rapp Black - stumbled on this while searching for Frida Kahlo biographies

Sanctuary by Emily Rapp Black - kept reading Emily Rapp because she's a beautiful writer who has gone through some shit.

The Still Point of the Turning World by Emily Rapp - I discovered too late that this was too much Emily Rapp to read at one time (my fault, not hers).

These Fleeting Shadows by Kate Alice Marshall - intriguing young adult writer 

The Memory Eater by Rebecca Mahoney - really cool concept, great casual representation of queerness, good writing - I'm a fan. 

I have a bad habit also of loading up the maximum number of ebooks (10) even though it is very rare that I can actually get through all of them before they disappear or I have to try to renew them or put them on hold again, and this also is a kind of book-hoarding that I should not do. I somehow feel the need to create this massive bulwark of books between me and the howling existential void.

Digital Books Borrowed

Leech by Hiron Ennes - weird horror book, reading slowly

The Anomaly by Herve Le Tellier - weird philosophical/ sci-fi / many-charactered / won the Prix Goncourt/ just finished and not sure exactly how I feel about it yet

Girl Forgotten by April Henry - going fast, not bad, a little slight

Undersong by Kathleen Winter - first book I've read of hers since Annabel

Sherlock Holmes, the Complete Novels and Stories by Arthur Conan Doyle - Sherlock Holmes is a book bingo square this year, and I don't remember loving the actual Holmes works, but everything "holmesian" I've tried as an alternative has been inexpressibly terrible, so here we are

Nightcrawling by Leila Mottley - The cover annoys me, I keep reading the synopsis and being annoyed that it states "nightcrawling" as a profession without elaborating - I believe it turns out to be sex work, but I've asked around and no one else automatically went to that either, so I find it annoying that it's just there without explanation. So annoyed before even beginning the read, what could go wrong? I have been really trying to read more black woman authors, which largely has been very enjoyable, but right now it feels like a chore and I'm not sure how to deal with that. (The first few pages are very good, I will probably just suck it up and stop whinging).

I'm Looking Through You: Growing Up Haunted by Jennifer Finney Boylan - she co-wrote Mad Honey with Jodi Picoult, who I quite dislike as an author, but someone I know liked it so I'm reading this memoir instead.

If This Book Exists, You're in the Wrong Universe by Jason Pargin - 

The Marriage Portrait by Maggie O'Farrell - Loved Hamnet and Judith, intrigued by the fact that this is apparently based on the poem My Last Duchess

VenCo by Cherie Dimaline - I am regretfully realizing that I just don't think Cherie Dimaline is for me - people who I generally share book opinions with really liked The Marrow Thieves and this, and I admire the concepts but the writing for some reason does nothing for me. 

I have 21 books on hold, but I think I won't even go there right now. I use the library almost exclusively unless there's something I decide I really want to own (I tried to achieve zero growth by getting rid of a book every time I buy a book - results have been mixed), but I still probably need to exercise some restraint.

Oops, I'm almost late for my job interview. 


Comments

ccr in MA said…
Oh, I have absolutely done the things where I placed a whole bunch of holds and then gah they all came in at once I can't read all of these in three weeks what have I done?

For holmesian, if you like books with fantasy elements (angels, vampires, etc), I highly recommend The Angel of the Crows, by Katherine Addison. I love it, and I'm not much into Sherlock myself.

Good luck with the interview!
Swistle said…
I can give this one partial report from one library: the library where I work has stopped charging fines---BUT, we do still send out first emails and then eventually letters if the book is not returned, and eventually we send a bill for the cost of replacing the book. Each letter now says that there will be no charges due if the book is returned; it used to be that if you returned the book when threatened, you still owed fines for the lateness, and that no longer happens. But...if the book is literally KEPT, then the bill for the book will be on the patron's account, and they won't be able to check out more things until they either pay the bill or else return the book.

Oh, and I don't know how it's affected the bottom line (that is, I don't know if we MISS the money we used to collect in fines), but I did overhear our director telling someone that removing fines had a dramatic positive effect on the percentage of materials that were returned to us. My guess is that it used to be difficult for someone to force themselves to return an item when they owed, say, $15 in fines: at some point, just KEEP IT. Whereas now, as long as they DO bring it back, they owe nothing (and we say NOT A WORD OF REPROACH), so they might as well bring it back. I wonder if we save more in replacement costs than we lose in fines.
Marilyn B said…
My local library also stopped charging overdue fines (I assumed this was a widespread phenomena). And I was wondering how the food bank felt about this because each summer and winter they would have a big food drive where you could “pay off your loans” by bringing in non perishable items for the food bank. I assume that the money isn’t really noticed since they were always collecting food items.
NGS said…
I was so very pleased that this whole post seemed devoted to me. Yay me! (My humbleness is overwhelming.)

The next time I check out picture books, I'm taking out my Klassen books because that book did make me unbearably happy. This is not my hat! I stole it! I'm still diligently looking for the word hat in every book I read and I wonder if this will happen for the rest of my life.

Our library doesn't collect overdue fees anymore either. It is delightful. It does not help me with my ebooks, though, where there is a 21-day loan and no renewals. I'm ashamed to admit that right now my Kindle is on airplane mode so the library can't yank one of my books back. But why no renewals, library? Why do you hurt me?
D said…
Job interview? Way to bury the lede!

Tell us more!
We love the hat books in this house, too! They are so dark and funny. My husband's favorite is "We Found a Hat" but my favorite is I want my hat back!

I almost exclusively check out ebook so don't have to deal with returns. Well, I should say that is all I generally check out for myself. We go to the library every week and check out 15-20+ books for my boys, ages 2.5 and 5. Most of the books are for the 5yo but the 2.5yo will sometimes check out a board book. I really really try to get them back on time and that's pretty feasible since we are there pretty much weekly. But I had to return something a few days lately recently and I felt so guilty! My library has done away with fines, though, which seems to be the case nearly everywhere!
Nicole said…
I almost thought "I have read NONE of these" but then I saw The Marriage Portrait! I liked that a lot but not the ending.
I am a bit stressed about moving in a month and I still have all these books on hold - which I will cancel, obviously - but then I have to get a new library card and they don't have an app, which I rely on immensely, and I have to use a WEBSITE to put things on hold. Well, I will figure it out but ahhhhh.
But which book did Engie take out of the library that made your day? I would like to read it. How could one not try out a book that has the potential to make one's day?

You have a very interesting list of books.

My favorite book about a hat is "The President's Hat" by Antoine Laurain. Not a children's book.

Our library has also eliminated fines on physical books. This is driving my husband insane. He is a stickler for returning library books on time. My uncle, who was the Head Librarian at the University of New Brunswick, was notoriously bad on returning books - who would dare to administer a fine to the Head Librarian? But the rest of us are not Head Librarians.

I mostly read e-books, because I can read at night without waking up Dear Husband, but it has several drawbacks. With e-books, I cannot take a charming photo of stacks of books. And I can't use charming bookmarks.

There has to be a plot by the creatures that live inside the nanoparticles that decide when the library e-books will be available to us, a plot to release all the e-books on hold at the same time, a plot so heinous that it will make us give up on reading and go eat chocolate muffins instead.

I currently have 6 ebooks on loan and 10 ebooks on hold. And I had better stop with that, because otherwise this comment will be as long as a post.
Ernie said…
What is this about a job interview? I like how you snuck that in there at the end.

Oh how I loved Hamnet. When I read this post, I remembered that I want to read more of her books. I am trying to get thru the book club books and Last month's book dragged on and on for me. So I am way behind now. Plus I find myself without much time to read this summer.

Our library stopped collecting fines and I am thrilled.
StephLove said…
I am jealous of how much you read sometimes, but having that many books out at once sounds kind of stressful. I loved Hamlet, too.

And job interview?
Job interview!!!! How did it go? What was it for? Details please!!!

I love your list of books, primarily because there is nothing more soothing than a list of books and secondarily because I have only heard of maybe two or three of them. Nightcrawling has been on my TBR for a long time, so long that I have no recollection of what it might be about, but now I am irritated for all the reasons you state.

My library got rid of overdue fines too! Such a great idea! I love my library.
Sarah said…
Jon Klassen!!! LOVE his books. Some of the first ones that Minnie laughed at.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits