Blissful, Joyful, Delighted, Gratified

These are all synonyms for 'thankful'. Which I am. My life is rich and full, and I am grateful beyond measure that I have 'all of the necessities and some of the graces' (a quote I love, from this book). My children, my husband, my parents, my sister, my brother-in-law, my niece and nephew, my friends, my books, my home, the plants that live, the plants that die, the sun, the wind, the snow and rain, enough food, too many clothes, Tuesday night tea with Patti and Susan, girls' week-ends, bad jokes, good jokes, music, colour, beauty and mystery and zombie stories.

On Saturday we informed the kids that this was going to be our last hockey-free beautiful Saturday for the foreseeable future, and therefore we were going to go for a walk in Gatineau Park. Angus said "can I bring my bike?" We said "um, no." He said "But I hate walking!" We said "we know." I think I've mentioned before, also, that Eve hates the smell of fresh air. So we had no illusions - this was an idyllic family stroll under duress, and that was fine by us. As it turned out, they weren't all that annoying. Eve was bitter that all the fuzzy red-and-black caterpillars seemed to have been commandeered by toddlers, although she didn't go for our suggestion that she offer to wrestle for one. Angus found that playing 'leaf baseball' alleviated the tedium of all the sunshine and beautiful scenery.



On Sunday we went to Brockville to meet my mother-in-law and her husband at my husbands' grandparents' retirement home for Thanksgiving brunch. Nana was her usual cheerful and sharp-as-a-tack self, and Grandpa was much as he has been lately - not entirely sure who everyone is or what's going on, but happy to be surrounded by loving faces. He did snap to at one point, when my mother-in-law told a volunteer to bring him and Nana small glasses of wine, holding her thumb and forefinger close together to demonstrate. The girl left and Nana asked Grandpa if he would like some wine and he said tartly, "yes, but I wish you'd all stop measuring it with your fingers!" That'll be me when I'm 90 - grandchildren come and go, but wine is forever.

Monday we had Thanksgiving dinner with my Mom and Dad, who were nice enough to delay it a day so we could be with them. Angus discovered that he loves pumpkin pie, much to Matt's dismay. The wine was not measured in fingers.



When we were back in the lounge after brunch, I was beside Grandpa and Nana was on the other side. She asked him how he was feeling. He looked up from his wheelchair, on a day pass from the hospital where he's been for three weeks, and said "I don't have anything to complain about."

Word, Gramps.

Comments

Bridget said…
Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving and love the pictures from the walk. The last one of the four of you is the best, love it!
Nicole said…
Word, Gramps, indeed!

Also: "idyllic family stroll under duress" - hee hee hee.
Mary Lynn said…
Your description of the walk so made me laugh. I swear most of our "fun family outings" begin under duress. Half stay that way and the other half turn out to be really quite pleasant...and you really never know which it's gonna be.

Love that pic of the four of you.

Cheers to wine not measured in fingers!
Wrath Of Mom said…
Grandpa sounds awesome.

Love the last photo!

Thanks for the comment on my blog post. Your husband sounds like a funny guy.
Lynn said…
I love, love, love that last family shot. So perfect, you all look gorgeous and so happy. It's like the perfect capturing of a perfect weekend. Happy Thanksgiving!
SuziCate said…
I do not measure my wine by fingers...I measure it by the rim of my glass, and no it doesn't matter how big the glass is! And beautiful family portrait!
alison said…
That walk *so* sounds like the walk we took on the Jack Pine trail a couple of weekends ago. Rae said, with verbal arms crossed: Fine. I'll go, but I won't enjoy myself. Which lasted until we saw the first of 600 chipmunks and the jackrabbit. It was a lovely day, as it seems your day/walk was too. Happy belated Thanksgiving.
Alexandra said…
Thanksgiving is such a good time.

It makes us stop and think about what we still have.

Lovely post, and Happy Thanksgiving, Canada!!

You have the most awesome women.
Jane said…
No matter how much they complain and whine --- you go, Mama! These "idyllic family stroll(s) under duress" are the things that fond memories are made. What a great mom you are!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!
clara said…
Awww Grampa. I wish I had one.

Happy belated thanksgiving! Of course, we can be thankful every day, but today is Surly Thursday, sooo...
Ms. G said…
That was just lovely all the way around. (Funny Too: )
Anonymous said…
You guys are all kinds of adorable!
Finola said…
I LOVE Gramps! If anyone ever measures out my wine with fingers they will be immediately cut from my will.

Glad you had such a beautiful weekend!
Patti said…
Lovely and I'm humbled I made your list. I so look forward to Tuesdays, so I can hang out with you.

"Wine is forever." Word.
Shan said…
This post is all kinds of awesome!
Sounds like a darn good weekend. Forced fresh air and all.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits