Surly Thursday: General Overall Insomnia-Generated Surliness

It's been a while since I did a Surly Thursday posts. Sometimes I'm not that surly by the time I get home. Sometimes I'm so surly I don't have the energy to do anything but watch Brooklyn 99 and eat cookies. My friend Sasha reminded me today about Surly Thursday and what do you know, today is in the sweet spot - um. Sour spot? 

Tuesday night I went to bed at a normal-ish time and took the sleeping pill I usually take before my early day Wednesday, otherwise there's no way I can fall asleep early enough. I read for a while - okay, a little longer than I should have. Then I turned out the light and lay down and realized I did not feel anywhere near as sleepy as I should. I clearly remembered taking the sleeping pill. I started listening to the Mean Girls soundtrack (Broadway, not the movie, Renee Rapp and Auli'i Cravalho are straight fire but Angourie Rice, oh lord, wonderful actress, do NOT understand the casting choice here). Usually I hear two or three songs, then drift off, wake up just enough to hit pause and fall back asleep.

One hour and six minutes later, I heard the end of the finale and thought, well shit, I might be fucked. At 4:45 a.m., I thought yes, yes I am. 

At Wednesday morning school as I was setting up for the day, the vice principal came in and said, a touch sheepishly, "hey, so... there's a presentation in here this morning." And then asked me to deliver books to all my classes instead of having them come in. This is a GIANT pain in the ass, because how the heck to do choose a book for every kid and then sign it out to them and then deliver it while making clear which book is for which kid? Well now I kind of know how I would do it, but since I was given zero warning, most of the morning I did it stupidly and caused myself all kinds of grief. On the bright side, I didn't really have time to dwell on how tired I was. 

As usual, I had more trouble waking up the second day after no sleep. Today at Thursday school was mostly fine. One kid had found a cut-up pool noodle and was walking around with it and I asked him why and he said because he found it and I said "so it's now your emotional support half pool noodle?" and he said yes, but then his teacher took it away because she suspected he would whip people with it (fair enough teacher, rookie mistake on my part) and THEN the challenging class came in and the MOST challenging kid was suddenly walking around with this truncated pool noodle and I was like oh hell no, but it didn't end in a pool-accessory showdown, so no harm no foul. I'm annoyed at how fat I am - I know, I know, Body Positivity, or Body Neutrality, Health at Any Size. I am eating the fruits and vegetables, I am moving more, I am appreciative of the new understanding we (well, some of us) have about weight and outdated assumptions, but sometimes I miss the good old days when we could just sit around bitching about being fat. Also I keep losing games on the Jeopardy app. I think I might be equally angry about my weight and missing Final Jeopardy (I've always been spotty on South American capitals), which probably says something about how rational my thought processes are right now. Also it got cold again and my neck hurts and my cough is back. 

Eve and I were trading mostly humorous cranky anecdotes yesterday. Her art activism class was doing a field trip to the Hamilton Art Gallery and she had to fill out forms, which was funny for me because I used to get so cranky about having to fill out the same information on so many goddamned forms when the kids were in school so I was like "what, now you have to write yourself permission to go on a field trip?" and she said "well yeah, in case I die under a falling sculpture or something." Also shit is getting real for the musical and she loves the singing but has an issue with acting because it feels fake "and I KNOW it's acting it's not REAL, but it's still embarrassing". 

I guess I should make some dinner. Maybe one more game of Jeopardy first.

Stay surly, friends. 


Comments

Ernie said…
Delivering books to classrooms sounds like back breaking chaos, but I suppose you would've had a cart? Still. The broken noodle story cracked me up.

We ordered an uber XL for 6 people to go to o'hare airport. Guy shows up and decides not to take us because with our bags (we packed light. It was only 5 days) he didnt want to put that kind of strain on his car. Wait. What now? But we ordered the car for O'hare did you think we were travelling with only an ID and no baggage? Our flight was delayed over an hour and 2 people in line in front of us at the car rental desk took 20 minutes, debating this?feature, whether or not to save $3a day while the line stood still at midnight.

Surly Thursday solidarity.

Oh and Eve is so funny. I love that she cannot bare to be fake. It reminds me of the SNL skit from the late 80s or early 90s with John Lubbitz (I am sure I'm not spelling that right). He would holler, But i was only acting!
Swistle said…
Acting is SO embarrassing!! I have never been able to do those things where someone has you run through a little scenario to practice selling Girl Scout cookies or taking a phone call or whatever. I can do it IN REAL LIFE. I cannot do it FOR PRETEND.
Nicole said…
Wait, how DID you deliver books to all the classes and sign them out? The logistics of this seems really difficult.
"a pool-accessory showdown" made me laugh out loud. And I needed to laugh out loud!

I testify here that your surliness is fully justified. I cannot imagine trying to pick books and then dispense them at long distance through multiple hallways to school children who might lash at you with a jagged pool noodle.

I would like to join in Thursday Surliness even though it's not Thursday any more: I am ultra surly today because I am 5-6 lengthy phone calls in the past 30 days into an intense exploration to find out how much my cataract surgery will cost, and have not arrived at the truth. Hashtag US medical system. Or lack of system.
Busy Bee Suz said…
How the hell can you choose and sign out books FOR kids. That seems like a lose-lose situation.
The Pool Noodle situation sounds both funny and annoying.

Sorry you didn't get sleep. Maybe you accidentally took the wrong pill? I've done that, surely you have too. Have you ever tried CBD or a little THC? I've been using gummies that have a bit of CBD/THC/Mealtonin. They help me fall asleep, and when I wake up to pee, or flip, I'm able to go back to sleep. Otherwise, I toss and turn all night and it's not a good feeling in the morning. Just a thought. You've probably exhausted all options at this point; but you never know. xo

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits