I'M GLAD YOU ASKED

 Only Nicole did, really, but I was kind of thinking while I was doing it (selecting books and signing them out to deliver to classes) how I would blog it, but then didn't because it has the potential to be very dull, but this is my third post in three days so it's easy to skip if you feel like it!

So what I SHOULD have done was sat down and figured out the logistics first. But my first class is supposed to arrive very shortly after I do, so I didn't have a lot of time and what I did was grab the cart (I had to clear some picture books to be reshelved off of it first, at Monday school I have two carts, but at some I have none, so lucky, I guess?) and head down to the kindergarten hallway to grab their book bins. I got two bins, and only one had the kids' book bags in them - in kindergarten they have large ziploc bags with their names on them to keep books safe and dry in backpacks.

When I got back to the library, I counted how many kids there were and how many books I needed to pick. Then I realized I only had bags for one class, so I could check out the kid's book and immediately bag it, but how the hell was I going to do the others? I went to pick books while I was working that problem.

It was French book week - they alternate- so I went to the French book section. I didn't want to look like I just pried a wedge of books out without any thought, so I started sorting through them looking for newer-looking, interesting-looking ones. This was extremely unintelligent - it was only for one week, and who the fuck CARED if I just grabbed an armful of thirty books and parceled them out? By the end, this is what I was doing, but I BEGAN the process very thoughtfully, TO BE CLEAR.

I started out looking at each child's name and looking at the books and trying to figure out which book I should give them. I know gender essentialism is out, and with good reason, but in kindergarten do we really need to insist that the little girls can't have princess books and the little boys can't have truck books when mostly this is still what they all want? (not all, by any means, but when I'm picking and not them, it didn't seem the hill to die on). I put the books in the bags and put the bags back in the bin. By this point, the presentation was going on, and although they had left me a skinny path to get in and out, I had to ask kids to move every time, and it was disruptive (clearly the vice principal didn't have enough time to think things through either). So I decided for the second class I would put little slips of paper in the books with each kid's name.

This takes more time than you would think.

It also necessitated me ripping papers up into little slips if I didn't want to waste a lot of paper, which I did not. Was I happy about making paper-ripping noises while Nabil from Equity was doing a presentation on racial slurs? No, I was not. I was not happy about the little 'beep' the scanner made with every book I checked out either, but needs must. No one looked disapprovingly at me, anyway.

After I finished that class, I wheeled the cart out, dropped off the two bins I had and went to the third kinder class and said I needed the bags. It took a bit to locate them (this happened the first week back from March Break, which made things even more confusing), but we did. So then I went back and did those. At this point I was late for delivering to the grade one class upstairs, because the library periods are only twenty minutes long, and that wasn't long enough to do what I was doing. Someone came down and said the grade one teacher wanted to know if I was still coming. I'm sure she didn't mean this to be judgy and annoying, but it kind of was. I realized she hadn't sent their returned books down, which the vice principal had said she would ask them to. Also, the class was upstairs, and when I'd asked the vp if there was an elevator, she'd said 'yes' and walked away without telling me where.

*hysterical giggle fit*

Do I look like I'm having a nervous breakdown?

This random women went back and got the books sent down. I returned them, took some deep breaths ( I was so sweaty, and my hands and back were so achy by now). I went over to the non-fiction section, grabbed a bunch of the gnarliest shark, spider and bug books, slammed them onto the cart. Then I grabbed a chromebook and attached the scanner to it. I found the elevator, got to the classroom with about three minutes left in their library period, spread the books out over a pod of four desks and let them have at it, bracing for complaints.

Damned if it didn't work like magic. 

I only had one class left, so I got back to the library, picked some books much less judiciously, and sorted them into bags. Then I looked at the computer and saw that the scanner was still not there because it was attached to the chromebook and realized that I had looked up every name but NOT ACTUALLY SCANNED THE FUCKING BOOK.

So I took them all out of the bags and scanned them. Then I delivered them.

Then it was lunchtime so I went in the office and ate some cauliflower and grapes and laughed and cried a tiny big. Then it was after lunch and I was going to shelve a few books before leaving for my other school. Classes filed in for the next presentation, and even though I kept asking them to leave me a path so I could get out in twenty minutes, no one did. At this point I was extremely fed up, and imagined stomping through the crowd with the presentation already in progress, and thought NOPE, grabbed all my stuff and left a few minutes early. 

It's funny now.

Have a picture of Lucy's adorably enormous ear. 

Comments

ccr in MA said…
Okay, I got sympathy frustration just reading this! How super, super annoying, ugh!
Swistle said…
That is a VERY GOOD EAR.

Also, the idea that anyone in their right mind would ever ask anyone to do that library task is BOGGLING to me, and indicates that the person who asked you to do it has NO IDEA WHATSOVER what is involved. This is the kind of task suggestion that, at our library, would have made the children's library staff laugh and laugh. In fact, I will tell them about it and report back to you what their reactions were, because I suspect they will have GRATIFYING reactions of horrified astonishment and impressed dismay.
Thank you for describing that process (if process is the right word). It sounds utterly insane that you were asked to do that, and further increases my appreciate of the tasks you do, and of librarians in general.

People are often gushing about how something wonderful happened because of serendipity, unexpectedly, like, good chocolate just appears, or the sky becomes sunny when sunniness is needed? Well, I would like to say that mostly in life, good stuff happens because of PLANNING and the existence of LIBRARIANS and librarian-like people.

I could say more, while shouting in capital letters here, but I just want to say thank you to you and to all librarians.
Pat B said…
Wow this is really impressive! And I agree that you should have never been asked to do this. I hope you get a big fat bonus for this above & beyond performance (did I make you laugh?). Well done. Those kiddos are really lucky to have you.
Nicole said…
"It takes more time than you think" - no, actually, I think it would take me personally several DAYS to do this! It sounds incredibly complicated and I kind of think it's weird that they even asked you to do this. I mean, how do you know what a kid will read? Ahhhhhh what a crazy day!
StephLove said…
That does sound like a challenge (and a hassle).
Ernie said…
I agree, this was a big ask and I can imagine that your back was killing you. Loading. Unloading. Stack of books. Plugging a scanner in to this computer and then that ipad . . . hell, that right there would have had me confused without a teenager to assist. Moving the cart in and out without people leaving you space? Good grief. Sounds like the VP, who did not point you towards the elevator!, needs to spend a day in your shoes before asking you to do this on the fly.
NGS said…
So much for romanticizing the job of librarian. I have sympathy back pains just thinking about this!
Aviator said…
I really liked your post! Your insights were valuable. Looking forward to more from you. Connect with developers and fellow players on our Aviator-focused blog.
Sarah said…
Love this-- thanks for showing us the WORK that care work always entails.
This sounds like A Nightmare. I can't tell what most peeves me about the situation. That they assigned you an impossible task? At the last minute, allowing for no planning or consideration? That they usurped your workspace without notice or, it seems, apology? That they assigned you an impossible task without even taking into account that a) impossible or b) what it might possibly entail? That they expected you to complete this impossible task IN THE SPACE THAT HAD BEEN USURPED????

You DID IT, though. You accomplished the impossible. Which you shouldn't have had to do. I hope you felt (feel???) high on your own power.
Busy Bee Suz said…
Holy mackerel. That was a LOT! Look at you though, you did it even if you were almost having a nervous breakdown....you looked cute while doing so. ;)
Lucy's GIGANTIC ear. LOVE It.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits