It's Too Darn Hot

 I titled the post that as an homage to a number from Kiss Me Kate, which I saw performed at McMaster thirty years ago. I'm sure you can all appreciate that in actuality I am using a much less-cute adjective.

I had an awesome Saturday. I went to the Carp Farmer's Market, which I've been meaning to do pretty much since we moved here, with two friends. It was super fun, but dear god it was HOT. I would like to go back and amble around buying scones and honey and looking at pottery and having bacon on a bun some time when sweat isn't running down the backs of my knees. I got some gorgeous flowers for my mom, since we were taking them out for their birthday dinners that evening - their birthdays are next weekend but Matt left for Arizona and Germany yesterday.

After dinner we watched the last two episodes of A Gentleman in Moscow. Do you have shows you only watch with your husband and shows you watch alone? When they were network shows there would be enough episodes to carry us through most of a year, but now they're mostly streaming series which means we can go long stretches when we don't really have anything to watch together. And then new seasons of Only Murders in the Building, Slow Horses and The Old Man came out, right before my husband is away for most of the fall, so we hurried up to finish the one show we were watching. I haven't read the book, but the series was really good - visually stunning, flawlessly acted, sad and funny and moving. 

Sunday I thought I would just sleep in and read for most of the day, but even with the air conditioning I was uncomfortably warm, and at some point in the afternoon I got cranky and restless and decided to do yoga and clean some stuff out of Angus's old room, and then I was crying because we put a shelf out on the curb that used to hold a bunch of kids' books, and it was the blue that I painted everything back then, and it was really kind of crappy and I wanted the space more than I wanted to keep the shelf, but - you know that IKEA commercial where the lamp is out in the rain and the Swedish guy says "you are sad for the lamp - that is because you are crazy. It has no feelings, and the new lamp is much better"? I needed someone to tell me that. Also I couldn't do a stupid scissor legs yoga move. And my kids are far away. But this all would have been manageable if it wasn't so fucking HOT.

Anyway. I had classes in at Monday school today and they were lovely - mostly grades one and two, so eager and cute, and one grade six class who seem very nice. Only a couple of kids were unable or unwilling to tell me their names - it will come. 

Air Canada was due to go on Strike on September 18, right in the middle of Matt's first trip, and it looked like it could be long and ugly. So he went online and, at considerable expense and convenience cost, switched all his flights to United for the next two months. Then they ended up settling the strike before it even happened, so to everyone who was relieved by this, Matt says You're Welcome. 

According to the forecast we have one more hot-as-balls week and then some still-weirdly-hot-for-fall but cooler days. At this rate I won't be able to put on socks until November. 

Comments

the queen said…
Now I have to search for that Ikea commercial.
Nicole said…
I didn't know you were getting so much heat. It's in the low 20s here, last week we had a couple of 30, but the evenings are cooling down quite a bit. My parents were here and it was zero at Sylvan. I DO NOT MISS ALBERTA.
StephLove said…
It's not summery exactly here, but we haven't made a decisive pivot to fall yet. Some days are still hot, but then we get some cool ones like today.

I get all broken up over things like the little blue bookshelf on the regular.

I read Gentleman in Moscow and it's superb. I haven't seen the show so we're mirror images there. Noah and I watch Only Murders in the Building.
NGS said…
It is VERY HOT here, too, and I am trying to soak it in because what comes next is NO GOOD, but I am a bit complain-y about it, too. And then! I somehow hurt myself working out on Saturday morning and now I never want to move my body again because obviously exercise = injury and death. Or maybe I'm full of drama.
Busy Bee Suz said…
Thanks Matt. 🤪
Hot as balls. I wonder that means in Canada.
Seeing the lonely book shelf by the curb is sad, but hopefully someone picked it up and it will be used again for a small person for their book or toy collection. I know I'm not as good as an Ikea commercial, but that is my two cents.
Very selfless of Matt to end the strike like that.

I 100% thought, "Oh, I would be happy to offer my services of 'don't be sad about that bookcase'" but then I thought about it a little more and I would just end up crying with you and trying to find a way to repurpose the bookcase. (You made the right choice. It served its purpose for your family and will now find a new purpose for someone else.)

Yes, my husband and I have shows we only watch together. Except that I really only watch TV with him, rather than ever by myself, so I miss out on a lot of things. (Only Murders in the Building being one of them.)

Popular posts from this blog

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

I'm Sick

Books Read in 2023: The Five-Stars