Hey Good Lookin'

 So. The air fryer.

I was still planning on hemming and hawing and second-guessing myself a little more even after the comments on this post convinced me that I probably would get an air fryer at some point. But then my parents were over for Eve's slightly delayed birthday dinner on Sunday since she was home for break, and my dad asked me if I had an air fryer, and then said "dammit" when I didn't, because he had decided they were getting an air fryer and wanted me to tell them which one to get. While I was looking up the comments on the post to read to him and noodling on the internet at the table, it popped up that Best Buy had the Ninja Max XL on sale for a hundred dollars less than regular price. Suddenly my dad was barking "do it!" and I was ordering two air fryers.

I was a bit apprehensive about finding counter space, but then I always am, and then it invariably turns out that I keep a lot of crap on the counter and even though it seems like that crap really has to live on the counter, it actually really doesn't.

I

 set it up and then might have ended up leaving it sitting there until I screwed up my courage to use it, much like my instant pot, a Black Friday impulse buy that lurked balefully on the counter for a year and a half while two separate friends offered to come over and walk me through how to use it before I threw caution to the winds and pressure cooked some Mongolian beef one madcap Friday night. 

Matt was deep in prep for the Valentine's Day Guys Cook night, but he had also made homemade bread crumbs from a rock-hard baguette (he watches chefs on Youtube and then randomly does stuff, it's mostly cool, sometimes alarming). He had been planning to do some kind of chicken schnitzel while Eve was home but it didn't end up happening, so while he was grocery shopping I was making cilantro lime instant pot chicken for Eve to take back (because the instant pot is my bitch now, I've come so far) and had a leftover chicken breast, which I cut into strips and breaded with his bread crumbs and cooked in the air fryer. And whoo-hoo, I was now a person who fried stuff with air. 

This is my small gallery of air fryer stuff: kale chips, Cuban ham and cheese tarts and maple-chili pork belly bites that I made to go with garlic noodles and broccoli last night. For the foreseeable future, expect me to be obnoxiously air-fryer-positive with the zeal of the newly converted. It's so easy! It's so much less scary than the instant pot! You can open it WHILE IT'S GOING. I love roasted vegetables but I hate heating up the oven for a the small amount I make because leftover roasted vegetables are mushy and gross. It's so easy to work at counter-height! It saves my back!

My parents have only made chicken legs so far, but my dad was half rapturous, half pissed off because he thinks they might even be better than barbecued, and he barbecues in every calendar month (and this is northern Canada, we got weather). The little recipe book that came with it has one for mini cheeseburger meatloaves, which will probably make Angus want an air fryer too. 

Will my enthusiasm inevitably wane? Almost certainly. I am comfortable with this, I have spent more money on dumber things (during lockdown I bought a spaetzle maker. A SPAETZLE MAKER.) 

Our dinner party was fabulous. The guys knocked it out of the park. There was lobster bisque, a salmon poke bowl, beef cheek with escargot and jellied mustard, seared wagyu beef with smoked salmon and peach, and Matt made maple pudding, crepes with maple buttercream and candied prosciutto, maple fudge and maple and bacon glazed pecans and then most of us slipped into a sugar coma (is there such a thing as homi-monoglyceride-cide?)

I'm probably missing stuff, because around course three I took a tiny bottle of vodka from the bathroom emergency box and made Collette do a deconstructed vodka tonic with me and after that things were still delicious but less pronouncable (wtf is kohlrabi anyway). 

Even with all the amazing food, the highlight of the night was probably Cody, Collette's mom's bird who worked the room like a tiny feathered lothario and could have gone home with anyone's wife. Or Dave.

Comments

I started to list my favorite bits but then it was the whole post.

Yay! Air fryer!!!!! Love the things you’ve made so far! Also I want to be part of your friend group so bad! What a fun and fancy and delicious evening.
Nicole said…
Yay for the air fryer (KALE CHIPS YEAHHHHHH). I have a Ninja too but it's a double basket and it's HUGE so it does not get counter space. Actually, almost no appliances do in this new house because I have a handy-dandy pantry right off of the kitchen, so I haul out any small appliance as I need it. Exceptions are the coffee makers and the Vitamix, it would be insane to not give those counter space. My god, imagine carrying the coffee maker back and forth. Anyway, yes, isn't it so great? You can open it to check things and not worry about explosions or burns.
Your dinner party looks awesome!
ccr in MA said…
I laughed twice reading this, first at "I threw caution to the winds and pressure cooked some Mongolian beef one madcap Friday night" and then at "Will my enthusiasm inevitably wane? Almost certainly. I am comfortable with this, I have spent more money on dumber things." It's all about being comfortable with our choices, right? Looks like a wonderful party.
Swistle said…
This post is a delight/masterpiece, I think we can all agree on that. Cooking the Mongolian beef one madcap Friday night, vodka in the bathroom emergency box, the bird who could have gone home with anyone's wife, etc.

Ordering two air fryers is exactly the sort of thing my dad and I would do. I do not yet know how an air fryer is different than a small oven, but I am, Avatar-the-last-Airbender-style, waiting to learn. Maybe it is NOT different than a small oven! You do specifically mention how it's great for not having to heat up the whole oven! Maybe "being a small countertop oven" is its WHOLE THING! This generation's toaster oven, without setting taco shells on fire! (Or WITH setting them on fire! EITHER WAY!)

The gentleman in his little vest, sipping---who IS he. Immediately I love him.
Ernie said…
Brilliant. So funny. Madcap Friday evening indeed. I have the double basket ninja air fryer but coach bought it for Christmas last year and I was not wanting one. I still have not figured out how to best use it. I resent it for taking up so much counter space. The dinner party looks simply divine . . . with a friendly bird. So fun.
NGS said…
I don't have an air fryer, so I can not contribute to that discussion.

But one time I had the best lobster bisque in the whole wide world at a restaurant in Minneapolis that stayed open for approximately six months. I still think of that lobster bisque.
Sarah said…
THE BIRD PICS lol

I love the air fryer, but we mostly use it for heating up frozen junk food like jalapeno poppers.
StephLove said…
We have an air fryer, but I don't actually know how to use it. Beth and North get a lot of use out of it, though. Worth the counter space.
Jenny said…
Well, I hope you keep posting about your air frying adventures. I got an air fryer for Christmas but really haven't used it much. A couple times I apparently overcooked things and ended up with tofu cube "croutons." But I'm open to being inspired by you and the other air fryer chefs out there.
Elisabeth said…
Wait, what's SPAETZLE?

BBQing all year in northern Canada is #Dedication.

I think I need an air fryer. I am on the fence about an Instant Pot, but think I would love an air fryer. Everyone else is raving about them. Like Nicole, I don't want to store it on the counter though, so I'm a bit worried about finding space for it.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits