Pickle of the Litter

All of the charming and delightful company has made it pretty easy to sail through the first third of NaBloPoMo. Today I've kind of hit a wall. It was a great week-end though - today I drove around dropping off cheer-up biscuits and it was beautiful and sunny, and then I walked over to a friend's house for tea. Now it's dark and I'm alone because my husband is on his way to Denver and I wish I'd washed my hair earlier in the day and did I mention that it's dark? It feels very dark. So I'm going to go short and frivolous.

In one of San's recent posts, she mentioned that she doesn't really drink beer, and when told she would eventually like it if she kept drinking it, wondered why she would keep drinking something that doesn't taste good in the hopes of eventually liking it.

This makes perfect sense to me. And yet my daughter embarked on exactly this kind of quest in order to.... get herself to like pickles.

She didn't like pickles. Well and fine. She doesn't like a lot of things - she has texture issues, and I was a picky kid too, so I never pushed it. I don't see the sense of making kids eat stuff they don't like, even if it doesn't actually make them vomit (her day care provider insisted she try a three-bean casserole and that... did not go well). I presented a wide variety of things, and they had to taste them, and that was about it. I did staged prep (if we were having cooked vegetables I would just leave some raw, which is the way Eve prefers her vegetables to this day). I am a proponent of the theory that most people who say they'd never cater to a picky eater have never actually had one.

Ahem. Didn't mean to go on a rant there, clearly this is one of my hot button issues. Anyway. She didn't like pickles. Of all the things she didn't like, this seemed like one of the lowest-stakes things. I don't like olives. I mean, I really don't like them - my body doesn't recognize them as food. Same with Dijon mustard - if I get a sandwich that accidentally has Dijon I can't eat it. I'm okay with this. Well, ish - olives seem like something sophisticated people eat, and I would love to order a dirty martini and enjoy it. For the most part though, I'm just relieved to be an adult and not to have to eat anything I hate ever again. 

But for some reason, Eve was determined to be flavour-friends with pickles If she came down and I was making a sandwich and slicing a pickle, she would take a slice and eat it. And wince. 

Eventually she wanted pickles on her turkey sandwich every time. And now she'll make herself a plate of stuff and put a pickle on it. When I made a dill pickle pasta salad, she helped me chop the pickles and said "wait - we still have pickles though, right?" I asked her why she would basically do pickle calisthenics in order to make herself like something she didn't like, and she shrugged and said she saw something appealing in them and just had to practice. Practice pickle-eating.

She's so weird and I love her so much.

I also love this book. I like to think it's the culmination of the Cucumber Quest. Sorry, have I made it weird now?






Comments

NGS said…
I do not care for pickles and I feel like pickle juice ruins everything, so even if you take a pickle off a sandwich or a plate, the pickle juice has inevitably overtaken the taste of everything already. I get why Eve perhaps wanted to get used to the taste of pickle to avoid these catastrophes.

I do like olives, though. A lot. In Minneapolis, there was an olive bar at the fancy grocery store and I used to treat myself to a trip through the olive bar for ten olives after a hard week. This is a happy memory.
StephLove said…
North has loved olives since they were a toddler. I used to give them little bowls of sliced olives and once it was empty, they'd hold it out, Oliver Twist-style and say, "Mir iv," (more olives). Pickles are also a favorite of theirs, from a young age. But they can't stand capers, which I don't understand because I think they taste a lot like pickles.
Ernie said…
I do not like pickles and I do not like olives. Ed just learned that technically my very popular, well-loved 7 layer taco dip is supposed to have olives on top and I just skip them. He was appalled.

Eve is an interesting bird. Never, ever would I consider eating something in order to start to like it. If I don't like it. Then, that's it. The end.

Hooray for your delivering of biscuits on a beautiful sunny day and sorry about the very dark night.
Shawna said…
My mom makes fantastic potato salad with dill pickle juice. Sadly, my tepid feelings towards the pickles means pickle consumption doesn’t keep up with pickle juice consumption. It’s gotten to the point my mom is talking about making dill pickle brine without actually adding cucumbers to it.
Sarah said…
Have I made it weird now? THIS KILLED ME. I loved this whole post.
Meike said…
Maybe I should challenge my son to start liking something he doesn't? Hesure Isa picky eater and sometimes it's a little exhausting. I have to start thinking what would be a good choice...
This was so charming to read. Eve just sounds like such a delightful person. I did try to force myself to like tomatoes once, but it didn't stick. I admire Eve's perseverance. I am HERE for your picky eaters rant. I am picky and my kid is (even more) picky and that's just how we are. My husband is not picky about anything except olives and dijon (well, all mustard). So you're in good company. My brother doesn't like olives either. Must be a very controversial food.
Nicole said…
You are so right, people who say not to cater to picky eaters never had one. This is the same as people who don't have children having lots of opinion on how to raise them.
For the record, I love pickles!
San said…
Pickle calisthenics - hahaha :)

Well, as you know from quoting me, I also don't believe you should drink/eat something that doesn't taste good to you in hoped of eventually liking it, BUT I do believe there's value in trying something again at a later time in life. Things that I didn't like as a kid/teenager are now my favorite things to eat (e.g. Brussels Sprouts) and I do believe that taste buds can change.

And pickles: I'd like to argue that most people who dislike pickles never had the right pickle (haha, yes, I am picky about my pickles LOL). Have you had German cold and crunchy pickles before? They're so different from the dill varieties you find at the supermarkets here.

Popular posts from this blog

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

I'm Sick

But it's STILL SUMMER