Baby You Can Drive My Car 2.0

So Eve did NOT pass her driving test.......

with flying colours.

However, she DID pass it. (sorry, I'd hate you if you did that, I hate myself for doing it, I don't even know what's happening).

Like with the last one (because our interminable 'graduated licensing system' means two driving tests, which I'm pretty sure is dumb) I was trying to distract myself from my own runaway anxiety and missed her driving back in to the lot, and she ran up behind me waving her arms in victory. Unlike the last time, she said "I made so many mistakes, I'm pretty sure he wanted to fail me, but he said I technically meet the industry standard, so I don't care". She delighted for a few days in saying "I PASSED! Technically!"

A couple of the mistakes were obviously because of nerves. She never speeds when driving, and she knew the speed limit was 50, and then the tester said "um, it's 50 and you were up to 65 there". This meant she drove the rest of the test wondering if she'd already automatically failed. Also, the ramp to the highway (because the second test involves highway driving) was very short, so she didn't get up to speed before merging, which she always has with me, because the ramp speed was 30 and she was afraid of speeding.

One mistake she felt sort of cruelly deceived about, because everything online said do not, under any circumstances, try to rush through a yellow light, because the test considers a yellow a red. So she stopped a little more abruptly than she would normally, and the tester told her she couldn't do that because she'd get rear-ended, and the yellow does NOT mean stop, it just means caution. She said it didn't really seem appropriate to say "my dude, it's just because I'm driving MUCH DIFFERENTLY for the test than I do in real life. Do you think I make a full and complete stop at a stop sign every time too??" 

So anyway, she passed. And in one of the Reddit posts, she saw someone say "I"m doing my G test in Brockville (where she did it) - any tips?", obviously meaning about the test, but the only response was "...go to Don's fish and chips after?"

So we did. 


The t-shirt she stole from me is nearly forty years old, and she calls it "wearing my ladies", which she did for moral support, and is half-convinced that she passed because "the dude couldn't fail my ladies". It is called "Many Strong and Beautiful Women" and Eve and her friend looked it up online and found that the same shirt goes for like a hundred bucks now. 



Somewhat unsurprisingly, Eve and I have both had a mini-crash after the anxious build-up to the test and the exhilarating aftermath. I have been doing really well at getting out of bed and getting some stuff done before sitting down to read, because I have figured out that it feels so much better that way, even if I think I just want a relaxing day - I've passed this on to Eve and she agreed. Yesterday I just couldn't muster the energy, so I read most of the day, which was lovely up to a point and then suddenly I remembered why it's a bad idea. I was about to do some yoga and start some camping prep and then we had another tornado warning - not even kidding. And then it was over, and then we had ANOTHER another tornado warning, plus a severe thunderstorm watch and a severe thunderstorm warning - at least one of those seems superfluous, but I'm not a meteorologist.

So I wandered around worrying and picking up stuff and putting it down and being sad again that Angus isn't coming camping this year (he has a friend's wedding at the same time - a FRIEND'S WEDDING), and then it rolled through without anything major happened (although some friends got some gnarly hail in the earlier rain).

I wrote a camping report after last year and never managed to post it. I am going to schedule it to post while we're camping, with the understanding that it's not in any kind of triumphant finished form and the pictures will probably be random and out of order. Usually I hope that it cools down at night enough to sleep. This year I guess I should hope there are no tornadoes.

Comments

ccr in MA said…
Provisional yay for provisionally passing! I'm sure the shirt helped. And now that is done.

I always have had trouble sorting out the weather watches from the weather warnings, but recently the local weather guy put up a way to remember. The first part shows a picture of cold cuts and bread and says "Sub Watch: we have the ingredients, subs are possible." The second part shows a sub, and says "Sub Warning, we've got subs, now." Helps me remember, anyway!
NGS said…
Technically or not, it's done! Yay! Congrats to Eve!

I have never (NOT ONCE) taken a driving test. We took a driver's education class that had a driving component, but once we passed it, we got a full license. The 90s were a crazy time, man. I had to take a written test when I moved to Minnesota, but I didn't even have to do that when I moved to Wisconsin. IT IS ANARCHY here in the States.
Suzanne said…
neYay!!! Congrats to Eve! The "technically passed" reminds me of that old silly saying, "What do you call a medical student who graduates last in her class? Doctor!" She's a driver, technical pass or no! And the "mistakes" she made are so reasonable and so not even mistakes.

My baby brother failed his driver's test a couple of times and he is one of the BEST drivers I know. I am not even kidding - I would trust him with my baby and there are only three people I really trust driving her around. (Yes, I know she's ten.)

Angus is attending A FRIEND'S WEDDING. No. He is not old enough for that?!?!?

Hoping your tornado weather has passed. I HATE IT THANKS.
Swistle said…
I got to the part where you both had a mini-crash after the driving test and briefly assumed you meant a DRIVING crash in a car.

Elizabeth made a few mistakes during her driving test and decided to brazen it out by calling attention to each mistake---like, "Whoops, I know that was a yellow, I am a little nervous!---and apparently that's why she passed instead of failing.
StephLove said…
Congrats to Eve.

That shirt looks very familiar. I don't think I had one, but maybe someone I knew did. Or the same design on a poster or a mug or such.
Nicole said…
Yay Eve! It's like that saying, C's get degrees! Whatever it takes. Congrats to her, that's a relief.
Sarah said…
YAY for passing!!

I failed my test the very first time I took it because I cut off a truck and almost killed the instructor (and me, probably). But I was SO SHOCKED that I failed when we pulled into the lot that she told me she'd pretend I never came and I could try again after lunch when the shift changed LOL LOL LOL. (passed no problem after lunch).
Ernie said…
Hooray for passing the driving test . . . with the help of the Ladies, of course. I love that she later admitted that she wouldn't be taking a full stop at a stop sign in addition to not jamming on the brakes at a yellow light. Duh. Was Don's Fish and Chips sound advice? I was going to ask how this post slipped by me, but then I do know how - I've been a tad busier than my average busy. Still - I thought I was paying attention. BTW Lad failed his driving test on the first try and he tried to convince me that he'd failed when he walked over to me, and I thought he was pulling my leg . . . for an uncomfortably long time. Then I was finally like OH, REALLY? Not my best parenting moment, or maybe my kids should stop teasing me.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits