Maybe he accidentally packed my principles in his suitcase

Angus's hockey team has been in playoffs for a few weeks. Three weeks ago his good friend Noah showed up with a red stripe down the middle of his head -- 'playoff hair'.



My husband soundly mocked the mother, whose younger son was similarly flamboyantly coiffed. On the way home, Angus asked if he could dye his hair too. My husband said "How can I put this nicely? NO."



My husband and I have a general policy of trying not to undermine each other with the kids, even if we're in disagreement. I don't remember articulating it to myself, but I'm pretty sure I thought that if Angus tried to do an end-run and asked me if he could dye his hair I would say no.



You may recall that my husband then decamped for California -- a week-long trade show where he shows off testing equipment and switches and wavelength division multiplexing (yes, I TOTALLY know what all of this means and I'm TOTALLY using it correctly), and at night gets wined and dined by various customers and salespeople. In California. You may further recall that we had a blizzard that week, followed by freezing rain and then plain old soul-sucking basement-flooding un-frozen rain. Two solid days of it. Here -- not in California. So when Angus asked me if he could get playoff hair, I thought for a moment, then said...


"Sure. It'll be a nice surprise for your father."


Right now? As a mother, I could not rock any harder. As a wife? Maybe not so much.

Comments

Bridget said…
LOL!! Very cool hair, he rocks it!
Wrath Of Mom said…
HAHAHA!

"Playoff hair" -- am adding this to my list of reasons why my kids don't play hockey. Erm. Actually the list is currently only one item long: 6 AM practice time.
Gwen said…
AWESOME! You are the coolest Mum EVER!
Mary Lynn said…
Eh--it's just hair. Not like it's a permanent thing, like a tattoo. Beside, Angus really is rockin' the look.
Pam said…
I am looking forward to the playoff piercings. Oh! And the playoff lucky tatoo. And why haven't you posted pics of your playoff hair? (I've always been fond of purple.)
Nicole said…
Very cool! Yay for playoff hair. Hey, one day he might get a playoff beard! Or playoff mustache!
Betsy B. Honest said…
Awesome. I'm all for it.
Kelly Miller said…
Hey - you earned it!
alison said…
I think I want to be you when I grow up.
Patti Murphy said…
Love it. Revenge is best served with a red stripe.
Swistle said…
I. Love. This.

Also, I kind of want playoff hair now.
Julie said…
1. totally awesome mama! and 2. what was the hubby's reaction?
Anonymous said…
I am an engineer, and I know that you're totally using that correctly. Go you!

And look at Angus! It's his hair, I say he can do what he wants with it. ;)
Kitty Deschanel said…
Aaaaugh! I somehow missed this post when it went up. I also missed out on playing hockey, a move I'm not inclined to regret ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits