My Mama Year

As far as I can recall (this may be one instance where my failing memory comes in handy) I rocked the Mama Pants this year. Exhibit one: every time my husband says he's going away on another trip the kids yell "yay!" (this is because they treasure the quality time we spend together, NOT because I relax the TV and junk food restrictions while I'm single parenting). Exhibit two: I don't feel like doing exhibits any more. Oh yeah, I've also been great on consistency and follow-through as a parent. 

 Angus and I are a mere few pages away from finishing the first book I've ever managed to read aloud to him all the way through. We read a few pages snuggled in his bed before he goes to sleep most nights -- if there's no hockey game, if I'm not out dancing, if he doesn't fall asleep first, if I'm not coughing up a lung. It takes a LONG time to read a book out loud. We tried with a couple of the Harry Potter books, The Golden Compass, The House at Pooh Corner and a few others, but this one will be our first completion, which makes me happy. 

 With Eve's bullying incident (in which she was the victim) in grade one and this term when she was in a class I loved but there were whispers of her being moved to a class where I thought the teacher would be a much worse fit, I discovered that I was able and effective at standing up for my kid -- and I'm generally a cringing wimp, so this was a nice thing to find out. 

 I had my first experience of having a kid on a high-performance competitive team with Angus's (goddamned) A-team baseball experience this summer. Granted, I didn't have to do a whole lot other than be the sole person responsible for Eve (and not letting the house fall to ruin while the men in my family ate slept breathed and farted baseball for four solid months), but I handled the whole thing with -- well -- a higher degree of graciousness than might be expected from anyone who knows me well, let's leave it at that. 

 This fall was great for a slightly self-indulgent level of me-time, with World Trivia Night, Chris's wedding, Priscilla Queen of the Desert in Toronto and my 40th birthday high school girls' weekend. I've finished three courses in my library tech diploma (how many left? Don't ask. Please). The house is less cluttered than it was last year, which is to say still unbelievably lamentably appallingly hoarder-level cluttered compared to the rest of the world, but better for us -- anybody need a few reams of lined paper, three boxes of play-doh accessories, some Blues Clues VHS tapes, a breadmaker/juicer/deep fryer/wok, some canned goods of dubious provenance, a thousand books, or this blue plastic thing that might be needed to make something else function?

 I still have sleep issues, need to exercise more (although until November Pam and I were on fire with the Wednesday Work-out) and organize my time more effectively, as well as not sending my kids to their friends' houses for the week-end with pneumonia. But my kids are happy and confident and clever and entertaining, with a healthy sense of irony, and overall I'd say that last year goes in the win column.

Comments

Actually I do need a juicer. Ours sat in the cupboard unused for 5 years, was given away three months ago, and now I feel the need to juice something. A lesson in why it's good to hoard.
Ms. G said…
Sounds like a #1 Mama year to me : ) Every time I get rid of something I wish I hadn't. Though I admit I was embarrassed last weekend when my neighbor called to see if I had any baking powder she could borrow. I said I did, feeling pleased that I actually had such a thing. Then pulled it out and noticed it expired in 2008.
Anonymous said…
That pneumonia thing could have happened to anybody, anybody!
the queen said…
I could never do that Mama thing. I envy you. A little.
Nicole said…
You still have VHS tapes? I found a whole box of cassette tapes, and they were hilarious, including a MIX TAPE made by an old girlfriend of my husband's. Hee.

Sounds like you had a great year, mama! I kind of want your juicer but I know I would juice something once, and then it would be in my cupboard forever. This happened when my SIL gave me her old, rarely used cappucino maker. I love cappucino! So of course I need a cappucino maker. But I used it only once. It is much easier to just go to Starbucks when I wanted one.
The Mayor! said…
Yep, gotta love those (goddamn) competitive sports! Even more so when your kids wind up on a winning team! Far less likely that I'll be thrown out of the rink or the cheer competitions when they're winning....

Happy 2011 to you my dear, hope your holidays were fantastic! xo
Anonymous said…
I call dibs on the bread maker!

I just read "Little House in the Big Woods" to Hannah. I was alternately horrified by some of the messaging (casual racism, lots of hitting kids) and impressed that I actually read a chapter book to my kid. A short chapter book with pictures, BUT STILL.
Gwen said…
Oh! A thousand books! Me! Me!

I just love how you described your children as "entertaining". And that's a "win"!
Magpie said…
Is this "breadmaker/juicer/deep fryer/wok" one appliance?

Actually, what I really need to know is what book you are reading aloud.
Amber Dusick said…
I hope you get one of those "Best Mom" mugs really soon. No really. What was the read aloud book?
Ninja Mom said…
"Way to go" - my mantra to other moms who rock at their mama duties!
Kelly Miller said…
Dang woman. You had a great year!
Sandra said…
Love it! I love it when the last year goes in the win category. Makes for a much more uplifting read.
However, I do think the 'exhibits' need to stay. What is life without exhibit A and exhibit get-to-bed!...ok, whatev...
Great attitude! I adore you!
SuziCate said…
You rock...and you also have awesome kids! Sounds like a fabulous year, and 2011 will be even better!
Shan said…
Heck ya you rocked it!!
Patti Murphy said…
Yeehaw!

I commented on this in my head the other day, so I'm probably repeating myself in print, knowing how we think alike and all.

I think you're safe to say you had a good year after the year is over. If you do it before the year's up, you're taunting the universe--who's a total fuckwad.
Wrath Of Mom said…
I call dibs on the lined paper and the play doh stuff. But you've got to take my university anthropology texts, a shoebox full of childproof socket protectors and some men's ties from the late 90s that my husband never wears in trade.

Deal?

This was a v. funny post -- how did I miss it in my google reader?

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits