Black Cats and Horseshoes and Birthdays

 Predictably, now that I've finished the book review posts, I am feeling a magnificent disinclination to blog. Or rather, I think "I should blog" and then think "but about what?" How do I begin, if not by cutting and pasting book titles and plot rundowns and looking up quotes in my book notes? 

January is always a slog for me. I almost invariably have a headache for most of the month - a few things have been investigated, but it seems to come down to some weird combination of atmospheric pressure and my body chemistry being, well, weird. I still had a headache at the very beginning of February, but then it stopped for a few days, and now it's intermittent, which is an improvement. My mental health plummets no matter what I do to shore it up (to be clear, what I do is not all that heroic - drink lots of water, get a bit more sleep than usual, try to move a little more but fail often because just getting to and from work is exhausting). 

I forget where I was going with this - I swear I think I was going somewhere other than Whine City, Population: Me (quick, somebody tell me to take Highway 52 to Copetown). Oh, maybe I kind of remember. So it was the first week of February and things were looking up a little and I had done some cleaning and organizing and cooking in addition to working and then reading and stuffing an assload of carbs in my face. And then yesterday SUCKED. I woke up with a weird headache at the back of my head. So many kids were annoying ("I'm looking for that book with a bug on the front". "Sorry, I don't know what you mean, do you know that title?" "What's a title?") My two grade six classes in the afternoon who are usually lovely had a sub instead of the teacher that I love. The substitute looked about seventeen and was wearing track pants and a white t-shirt with sneakers - I thought he was a high school co-op student. It would have been funny if he then turned out to be surprisingly competent, but this was not the case. In the first slot, he held court before a group of adoring sixth-grade girls while the rest of the class did cartwheels and screamed their heads off. In the second slot the kids were basically okay, but this was probably not due to his behaviour, which consisted of sitting at a table with one other kid and looking at Guinness World Record Books. 

It seemed like every road I tried to drive on was blocked by someone driving weirdly. Lucy, who hadn't peed on the stairs once in Matt's long absence, peed on the stairs. I finished a puzzle and there were two pieces missing (actually that one didn't bother me as much as I would have thought, especially since it was a regift and not a purchase).

I was pretty cranky at work, until one boy asked me how my day was going and then said he hoped the rest of it was good and I got over myself a little. By the time I went to bed it was seeming fairly amusing, but I hoped today would be better.

It was almost freakishly better.

I was getting ready for work, wherein I start stacking all the things I need at the top of the two stairs down to the entrance. My purse, my bag with the seat cushion that saves my back, my fan, my water bottle and my lunch bag, another water bottle for my longer commute on Thursdays, and the bag with my boots to change into at school. Today there was also a table fan that I needed to leave in the mailbox for someone from the Freecycle group to pick up. So there was a lot going on, and I tipped over my water cup, which had a lid, but the lid had a hole, and a fair bit spilled. But it spilled in the one direction where it got absolutely nothing wet, and there was a towel right there that I was about to throw downstairs for the laundry.

I got a really good parking spot at work. The first two classes are grade sixes and come in groups, and they were all happy and chatty and asked me questions and thanked me for every answer. Then my challenging class showed up. They've had a new teacher, starting last week. 

You guys. I don't know what the hell she did, but holy shit, it was a one hundred and eighty degree difference. They lined up quietly. They came in and I congratulated them on that and handed out their cards. They got their books and sat at tables and read or drew bookmarks. I had cordial interactions with many of the boys who could not have been more jerkish a few weeks ago. I'm trying really hard not to think that other teacher was bad. Maybe they just didn't click with her. Maybe all the good will evaporate and it will be back to crappy normal next week. It was a really nice change anyway.

My last class was awesome - we read a book about a dog who does ballet. 

After work I went to the grocery store to pick up a few things. I walked in and tried to pull out a cart, already bracing myself because at this store you have to pull a cart out by its front, not its handle, and they almost always refuse to separate from the one behind. There was a woman getting a cart from the next row, and without missing a beat she reached over and held onto the cart behind mine so I could pull mine out smoothly. I thanked her profusely after I picked up my jaw from her insanely well-timed act of thoughtfulness. 

ANYway, in the midst of all this, my youngest child turned TWENTY-ONE, *stacks my dusty bones on ice floe preparatory to being shoved off into oblivion*. After her hellish week of being sick she had a hellish week of catching up on all the stuff she had to do less of while being sick, culminating in an organic chemistry mid-term at SEVEN O'CLOCK on a Friday evening, which seems like a wholly dickish time to plan an organic chemistry mid-term. And then she went out drinking AFTER IT (this is not unusual for most university students but is somewhat for my early-bedtime loving homebody). They went to a speakeasy with a door behind a bookcase that you needed a passcode for, just in case you weren't already feeling like your life could be way cooler than it is. 

If that wasn't trippy enough, she went out AGAIN on Saturday, although she had to chug a mini-Coke to stay up until they went out at eight-thirty. 

When she lived here, we would always take a picture of her the night before her birthday, on her last night of being the age she was. Now she has to send me one, sometimes with bonus housemates.

On her actual birthday yesterday I ordered fancy cinnamon buns for the house instead of a cake. 

She's home for reading week week after next, when we can do the family celebration. My Facebook memories yesterday were a parade of birthday posts.

Now that she can legally drink in the United States (which she celebrated by drinking fake-illegally), perhaps I will raise a glass in Canada. Or maybe not - my head kind of hurts again, maybe I'll just go to bed. But look, I blogged and didn't talk about books! Much!

Comments

Sarah said…
stuffing an assload of carbs in my face
*stacks my dusty bones on ice floe preparatory to being shoved off into oblivion*.
Those lines both made me LOL even though I am on the elliptical right below a sleeping Minnie. And then! Your birthday posts from FB made me teary— what a great post and cheers to brighter days ahead. And! happy birthday Eve!
Swistle said…
The thing like where that woman wordlessly reached out and grabbed the other cart so yours would come out more easily---that is the kind of thing that can make me a MESS. A happy mess. But a mess. The cooperation! The empathy! The ability to think of the right action at the right moment and DO IT.

Happy birthday to your baby. The traditional photos on Birthday Eve are fun with her name.
Nicole said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY EVE!!!! A speakeasy. With a bookcase and a passcode. What am I even doing with my life?
Wow, that is a change between days. I wonder what that teacher's secret is?
The cart thing is so nice, but also, why, company? Why have the carts that way?
NGS said…
We had a very lackadaisical teacher in my ninth grade English class. I have never in my life been in such an unruly classroom, including in fifth grade when we had a poor traumatized kid who used to throw chairs at people and once kicked over three desks. I was not part of the problem, of course, because I was/am a goody two-shoes who actually felt like the class material was important, but it was so chaotic. The teacher left at the end of the the calendar year (gee, I wonder why?) and the new teacher who filled in was super strict. By the end of the first week of the new teacher, it was the stillest, quietest classroom I had been in. It was creepy and terrifying. So we went from guardrail to guardrail with the same group of students and it taught me a lot about how leadership in the classroom works. Also, I felt like the middle ground was the real place to be in terms of classroom management. Thank you for attending my reminiscences about Tri County Area High School.
StephLove said…
Happy birthday, Eve! North is turning 18 next month. Where does the time go?

Hooray for a better behaved class, even if it proves temporary ( and even better if it doesn't).
I had to stop reading and comment immediately because I was so charmed by the combination of these words: "magnificent disinclination"

LOL forever to this: "It would have been funny if he then turned out to be surprisingly competent, but this was not the case." Such a good burn.

This sounds amazing: "we read a book about a dog who does ballet. "

So pleased for you about the nightmare class transforming into angels. I hope it sticks! The POWER some teachers has is nothing short of miraculous. My kid's kindergarten teacher is one of those people who just has some sort of magic -- she looked like a fairy princess and had this super high, feathery voice that never rose above a whisper, and all the kindergarteners would do her bidding. It was amazing. I could never be a teacher. I am in awe of the good ones. (And have respect for anyone who even gives it a go because HARD.)

Love the Last Night of Age X tradition! (Birthday Eve Eve!) So fun!

And BIRTHDAY CINNAMON BUNS!!!!!

Truly, happy belated birthday to Eve, and to you, who bestowed birth upon her (that sounds weird but I'm leaving it). I love reading about her (and Angus) -- she sounds like the coolest kid.
San said…
Happy belated birthday to Eve. It sounds like she had a great time (including cinnamon buns!).
Ernie said…
This is such a great post. I laughed throughout. Of course. I'm curious what the issue was with the original teacher. As a former sub, I am so disappointed in the t-shirt and running pants guy who chit chatted with the girl students. What? You know it's gonna be a good day when your water cup spills . . . in close proximity to a dirty/available towel. I so enjoyed Eve's prior b-day posts. Awesome. And yes, I am wondering what I'm doing with my life after learning that there are bars hidden behind book shelve'd walls. So cool.
Jenny said…
Aw! my oldest turned 21this year, and when he was home over Christmas it was so weird to hear him say he and his friend were "going out to a bar." You're going WHERE??? Oh wait- they're 21, they can now go to bars and drink. Still feels strange.
Birthday cinnamon buns- I want them.
January is always a blah month for me too. I think a lot of people struggled. February is much better!!!
Elisabeth said…
Wow - I am clearly celebrating my birthday wrong!

I hate January. It's such a slog. February is better, but really I'm just surviving until May. SUN PLEASE COME BACK TO ME.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits