Put THAT in your muffin tin and smoke it

Okay, so I've been super-lazy at blogging. And I just realized I haven't really read anything that I've had to sink any intellectual teeth into for weeks. And my last assignment was supposed to be three-to-five typed pages and I only turned in two-and-a-half (although she didn't specify spacing requirements, and I think she only said that for the slightly dumber people that probably aren't as concise. That's right, that's what I'm going with.) And it's July and I still have boxed-up Christmas decorations lining the wall in the basement because I was planning to reorganize my storage space before I put them away.

Cooking? Not really. Every few nights when Matt's not going out for baseball I make him barbecue whatever meat I have around, and then I serve it with different wrappings or sides for the rest of the week. I have shelled quite a few peas, if that counts. Oh shut up, I know it doesn't really count (yes, I do it while watching tv).

So what have I been DOING with my abundant spare time? Getting Eve to and from Drama Camp (more on that later), weeding my backyard for the any-minute-now-going-to-be-planted herbs and flowers, wandering the market and grazing the Indian buffet with the mom of the other Drama Camp attendee, interviewing the Acquisitions Supervisor for the Ottawa Public Library, playing badminton for the first time in twenty years (I sucked less than I feared I would), reading a bunch of really good fantasy and horror stories, going on food truck adventures and cottage-hopping.

My house is a disaster. I've sorted through some of the kids' old clothes and they're piled everywhere. The kitchen counter is piled with corn cobs and berries. Yesterday I was determined to get in some exercise, even though my right knee and my left arm are practically useless (patellar-femoral syndrome and gardening injury - I know, it's pathetic). So I decided to just grab some stuff at Shopper's Drug Mart while getting Angus's prescription instead of going to the grocery store before I worked out, because we already had produce. I made a quick list, trying to remember all the vitamins and medications and washing stuff we were out of. Then I added muffin cups.

Do you ever find that suddenly your grocery store stops carrying good old-fashioned normal muffin cups? Like, the only ones available are foil-lined or festooned with Disney characters and way too expensive for something that's just to make the muffin not stick to the tin and whose sole purpose is to get baked and then discarded and you find yourself going into a full-on Hulk rage in the baking supplies aisle because JESUS CHRIST WHY CAN'T I JUST FIND A NORMAL MUFFIN CUP WHY IS EVERYTHING SO GODDAMNED COMPLICATED????

No? Just me?

Anyway, I stuck it on the list, then I thought, why am I putting muffin cups on a drugstore list, the drugstore's not going to have muffin cups. They just have cake mixes and maybe some flour and  sugar and Bear Paws and Golden Oreos. Mmmmm, Golden Oreos..... focus. But what the heck, I left it on the list.

And look!


*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*




So yeah. I'm still kind of a mess. But in the muffin cup department? TOTALLY on top of things. Try not to be jealous.

(Also, note the post title, which shows once again that I care not a fig for search engine optimization. NOT ONE FIG!)

Comments

Nicole said…
I wish you had been able to come out here, but honestly, your summer sounds pretty nice. It's nice to be relaxed and chill! Also - YES - my old people Co Op still sells regular muffin cups, but anywhere else, no. WTF people?
Dimitra said…
I totally get you! I had these great plans to clean out storage rooms, kids closests (since they're home all summer, I'll do it with them!) complete outdoor projects and what have I done? None of that! Of course now I'm thinking that I'll get more done while the kids are back to school in September.... Yeah right!
And I LOVE it when you don't have to go on a crazy search for something so simple and you are pleasantly surprised! That would totally make my day!
Maggie said…
Awhile back I bought muffin cups at the fancy grocery store near our house. I didn't want to go to three different places and was already there, so I got the only muffin cups they had - silicon ones that are reusable. To no one's surprise I discovered that I really don't want to wash muffin cups. I'm sorry environment, I recycle and compost and drive a hybrid, but god damn it, I want muffin cups I can just throw away when I'm done using them. Have used them once and then went to big grocery store and got the regular kind, which I've used every since.
StephLove said…
I've been experimenting with not menu planning this week, as N and I are on our own. I am cooking, if you count grilled cheese and canned soup or pasta with leftover vegetables mixed into jarred sauce cooking. Oh, there was a stir fry of what's-in-the-vegetable-bin-and-what's-in-the-garden with a leftover marinade I found at the back of the fridge too. That was the most ambitious I got.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits