Deep Sigh

Do I always doubt that I'm going to finish NaBloPoMo at this point? I could go back and look, but I don't feel like it. I probably always doubt that I'm going to see the end of November at this point. I probably always think I have cancer of the eyebrows or some similarly exotic wasting disease. I'd go to the doctor, but I can't see putting myself through a phone call and the drive downtown just to sit on an exam table and say "I feel weird".

Further to the last couple of posts and the comments: I didn't like The Shining (the movie). I'm quickly realizing that I'm in a very small minority on this count. I'm not sure if it's because I read the book first, although I strongly suspect that is the case. I agree that Jack Nicholson's performance was admirable, but I just didn't feel like it captured the spirit OR the letter of the book, and the things they changed seemed senseless and I found them enraging. I think maybe I should reread the book and then watch the movie and read Doctor Sleep and then report back. At the very least, maybe I can help Hannah decide whether or not it's safe for her to read Doctor Sleep.

On the bright side, my fabulous friend Pam brought me this tea when I was sick last week and now I'm trying to figure out if I can ship some to everyone I know. Even my tea-hating "lips that touch tea will never touch mine" daughter is currently having some with a hefty addition of milk and sugar. This also reminds me that I froze a chicken carcass a couple of days ago, and I can make chicken stock for the soup from paragraph one of this post this week.

One more week. Books and hot liquids. We can do it.

Comments

StephLove said…
I agree completely it is not the least bit faithful. I don't think it's a good remake of the book. I think as a separate piece of art, it's a good movie, if that makes sense.

And I do love the book.

I am not sure what to think about that tea. I don't like vanilla roobis. It seems like the flavors clash, but maybe white chocolate and peppermint completely overpower the roobis.
Nicole said…
You can do it! You ARE doing it! I saw the Shining but I've never read the book. I've hardly read any Stephen King books because I'm a scaredy cat who would end up putting it in the freezer.
Hannah said…
You're not alone, the movie The Shining is so far-removed from the book it's ridiculous. In the book (I would argue) there is still hope at the end, because Jack does manage to fight off his demons for long enough to save his son. In the movie, he doesn't.

I think of them as completely separate entities, although I've re-read the book probably a dozen times and I've only watched the movie twice, so you can conclude which one I find better. ;)
Amy said…
I re-watched The Shining last month because I kept thinking I was missing something. I still don't get it. Then I watched the documentary which led me to believe a lot of people think too much about it.

I am going to read the book though. One thing I found interesting was that Stephen King was unhappy they cast Jack Nicholson because he thought a more normal looking man descending into madness would be scarier. He has a point.

Popular posts from this blog

Clothes Make the Blog Post

Books Read in 2021: Four-Star YA Horror

Mean Spirits